31 August 2008

Happy National Day Malaysia

To all Malaysians, have a good national day. More than ever, we need to work together to develop this country and bring it to a higher level, politically, economically and socially.

In my younger days, I used to take part in national day parades but these days, I am left to watching the parade on the television and if I wake up early enough in the morning, I will try to catch a live parade nearby. And today, I did just that. I was at the national day parade at the state level in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah. I actually took part in the same one about a dozen years ago. Our contingent came in the top three. A year later, I took part in the national day parade at the national level. This time, our contingent did not make it to the top three but was one of the contingents to be watched during the rehearsals. By the way, a competing contingent that year was featured in a photo in an article on Malaysia the National Geographic magazine.
To be frank, the parades are all the same. Contingents after contingents marching, not walking like you see in the Olympics march past. I don't know but I like to see it. Maybe it instills the national pride and identity in us. I've been to and lived in other countries, but this is the country I love. I was born here and, I hope, shall die here.
(247 words)

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin