29 March 2009

Books 2009 (2)

I've completed reading three more books the past three days. I know it's crazy but that's me. If I find a book interesting, I'd try to finish the whole book in a single reading. If I read over a few readings, it means I have to go back and remember what was written earlier on, which I don’t enjoy doing. If the book's not so thick (around 300 pages or so) and got reasonable text size, I could probably finish it in less than five hours.

The books I’ve read are as follows:
  • Paul Thoreaux’s The Great Railway Bazaar: A travelogue of his train trips from London to the Far East and back. A good read. He did a similar trip 30 years later and has written about it in another book. I’m looking forward to reading this one.
  • Noel Barber’s The War of the Running Dogs: Malaya, 1948-1960 - A very interesting historical account of the Emergency in Malaya, first published in early 1970’s. As Malaysians, I think we were lucky that the British were committed to fight the Communist Terrorists and eventually won. It’d be interesting what would’ve happened if the Communists Terrorists had won. A good read.
  • Doreen Orion’s Queen of the Road: The True Tale of 47 States, 22,000 Miles, 200 Shoes, 2 Cats, 1 Poodle, a Husband, and a Bus with a Will of Its Own – Another travelogue and this one was set in the USA. A good read too.
(247 words)

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin