07 May 2009

RM20,000 Mattress

One of the things I do on weekends is read the Saturday edition of the Star newspaper, which has a good business section, BizWeek.

BizWeek has been running a weekly series of 10 questions for corporate figures or celebrities. Last week’s figure was Azizi Ali, pilot, writer and millionaire. This was one of the questions and answers that caught my attention:

What sort of luxuries have you allowed yourself? Tina Adam

Not much. All I need is a good breakfast, a good book to read, a computer to write and time with my family. I have all that already.

My family lives in a nice house in a fabulous neighbourhood. We have a few items to make our lives more comfortable but nothing out of the ordinary. I think, the average Malaysian has more toys than me. As I wrote in one of my books, visitors often comment that my house is spacious. My house is spacious not because it is big but because it is sparsely decorated. I call it minimalist decor. We still have only one TV in the house and a 10-year-old mini-compo. I don’t have any branded goods and see no use for them.

I spend money on quality (not branded) goods. For example, my mattress costs some RM20,000. If you’re going to spend a major portion of your life (eight to ten hours a day) on a mattress, the only sensible thing to do is to buy the best mattress you can afford.
(250 words)

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin