29 May 2008

Another post from being stuck in the airport

One of the strange things in this airport is the number of times I’ve been approached by men and at least, one woman, trying to sell me watches and perfumes. It seems they approach a certain type of people, so not everyone. Based on my travels, I can say we can tell a little about a country the moment we step out of the arrival hall. Here, I can see a lot of people milling about, probably waiting for their relatives and my case, someone to buy their wares. I am not so sure if the stuff they are trying to sell are originals and knock-offs. I dare not to ask, even the price. Usually their sales pitches are met by a raised hand or a nodding of the head, saying no. Anyway, I think all the salespeople are just doing it to get some money to get by. It’s basic entrepreneurship or survival, whichever way you look at it.

At the same time, I saddened that if anyone comes to KL, they will be met by touts who are trying to fleece the visitors by offering taxi services at horrendous prices. What the authorities could do is put up a big sign in all major languages to warn travellers to buy tickets only from the counters or use taxis which are approved by the airport. Last month I saw a big sign in yellow at the Bangkok International Airport saying just this.
(245 words)

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin